MEET OUR DOCTORS
Dr. Fujinaka was raised on a vegetable farm in Northern California. He studied Economics and Molecular Biology at Claremont McKenna College. He received his Medical Doctorate (M.D.) from the University of California, San Diego. Dr. Fujinaka completed his Internal Medicine Internship at the University of Hawaii in Honolulu. He then Specialized in Anesthesiology at the University of California, San Diego. Finally, he completed Sub-Specialty training in Pain Medicine at Stanford University. While at Stanford, the Faculty selected him to be Chief of his Fellowship class. During his time at Stanford, Dr. Fujinaka was involved in the training and teaching of Medical Students, Residents, and Fellows. He also gave lectures for other Physicians. Dr. Fujinaka served as full-time Faculty with the Department of Anesthesiology in the Division of Pain Medicine until he had the opportunity to help build Apex Pain and Wellness. He enjoys Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Surfing, Tennis, and Traveling.
- Medical School, M.D. – University of California, San Diego
- Speciality Training: Anesthesiology Residency- University of California, San Diego
- Sub-specialty Training: Interventional Pain Management Fellowship- Stanford University
- Board Certification: Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology (2016)
- Board Certification: Interventional Pain Medicine, American Board of Anesthesiology (2017)
- F.I.P.P. certification, Fellow of Interventional (Minimally Invasive) Pain Practice – World Institute of Pain (2018)
- Chief Fellow, Division of Pain Medicine – Stanford University
- Faculty, Pain Medicine Physician, Division of Pain Medicine and Department of Anesthesiology – Stanford University 2016-2018
- Faculty, Anesthesiologist, Division of Pain Medicine and Department of Anesthesiology – Stanford University 2016-2018
- Instructor, Lecturer, Trainer, and Supervisor of Medical Students, Residents, Fellows – Stanford University
- Faculty, Instructor, Lecturer, Ultrasonography for Interventional Pain Procedures – World Academy of Pain Medicine Ultrasonography
- Published Author of Medical Journal Articles
- Lecturer for other Physicians for Continuing Education Credits
Dr. Sclafani strives to provide highly skilled and compassionate care to all patients. He has a particular interest in improving quality of life through individualized care plans that incorporate cutting edge technologies and research-supported medical therapies. Dr. Sclafani places great importance on listening to the concerns of his patients and works with them to both restore optimal function and achieve their goals.
Dr. Sclafani has undergone extensive training in his field. He graduated from the Stanford Pain Management Fellowship program, which is consistently ranked as one of the best fellowship programs in the country. Prior to Fellowship, he completed his residency training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Georgetown University/National Rehabilitation Hospital where he was named a Top Resident Physician in his final year of training. He completed both medical school and Internship in General Surgery at the University of California, San Diego and graduated summa cum laude with Highest Departmental Honors and Phi Beta Kappa from the University of California, Los Angeles.
He is widely considered an expert in Clinical Research, having completed a dedicated research curriculum at the National Institutes of Health as well as 2 years of research focused on improving outcomes for patients with back and neck pain at the Spine Institute of San Diego. He is a Co-founder of the Minimally Invasive Spine Centers of Excellence (MIS-COE) and has authored over 60 publications and presentations. Additionally, he continues to serve as a reviewer for several influential scientific journals and participate as a member in multiple National Pain and Spine Societies.
Dr. Sclafani is Board Certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.